Spotted #4 | Strand Bookstore- Union Square


Spotted is a Feature on Novel Days where I spotlight books which I discover whilst about town.

 photo spotted.png Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Let's Bring Back: Lost Language Edition by Leslie M.M. Blume: This little number is one of my favorite discoveries! I literally fangirled over it when I saw it in Urban Outfitters. It's beautifully hardcover, and feels like a treasure to keep in your bookcase. Dastardly, Coxy-Loxy, Cockamamie, Dear...so many cool phrases that I'm going to make my personal mission to bring back, because lets face it, our slang just isn't romantic enough.

City Of Bones by Cassandra Clare: You all know how much I adore The Infernal Devices series, but for some reason I found myself a bit hesitant to read The Mortal Instruments, even before I started TID. One moment someone will passionately recommend it, and the next, some one will say that it isn't up to the hype. Who should I believe, TMI fans? No matter what the opinion, the film sure looks great.

Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor: When I first started college I experienced "A Good Man is Hard To Find", and I remember being a little more than disturbed. Especially since we were studying about the grace of God within the text. I couldn't really see it then. But I've always wanted to revisit her work. I feel like I need, at least, one short story collection in my book case.

Persuasion by Jane Austen: In a section where Strand booksellers offer their personal recommendations, one associate said that this is Jane Austen's best, raw, and most thoughtful novel. I tried to read this novel as a young teenager, but found it really hard to get into. Perhaps, I'm ready for it now. I also find it very intriguing that it doesn't seem as popular as her other novels. What do you Austentatious fans think of Persuasion?

To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf: I've never read Virginia Woolf, though A Room of One's Own has intrigued me in the last few years. I think, too, that I've been a bit reluctant to read her work, for her tragic end. I have the same reluctance for Sylvia Plath. Have any of you read Woolf?

The Essential Hemingway by Ernest Hemingway: Oh this man. It's so hard for me when it comes to him. So many people talk of how genius he is, and also how much of a jerk he seemed to be. I also think that reading Z and The Paris Wife has poisoned my mind to him. But I want to look past the latter and just take in the beauty of his words. Any recommendations?

My Antonia by Willa Cather: I literally saw this sitting on a table as I passed by, remembered I had the novel on Kippa, and then decided on the spot I had to have it. I haven't heard very much about this book, save for a short paragraph excerpted in a writers workbook. But then I read the inscribed quote on the cover by H.L. Mencken: "No romantic novel ever written in America, by man or woman, is one half so beautiful as My Antonia." How could I possibly pass this up after that wallop of a quote? I've since started reading it, and it's a dream, ladies and gents.

Lunch In Paris by Elizabeth Bard: I've had this memoir/cookbook for a while on Kippa. Of course anything recounting experiences in Paris is pretty awesome, but what I loved most about Elizabeth Bard's personal recollections is that towards the ending of every memory, she includes a recipe to accompany it. I think I may spend this summer reading through the recipes, and trying my hand at each one as Julia Powell did with Julia Child's recipes. Have any of you read this one?

American God's by Neil Gaiman: I must be the only person on the planet to have never read anything by Neil Gaiman. He has be the modern day mythological writer genius. I've thought often of reading Coraline, after watching the film, and then I chanced on this one. Sounds like a graphic novel. Are any of you Gaiman fans? What do you think of this one? Any more recommendations?

That's been this weeks SPOTTED. I hope you're all having a truly blessed week, and I would love to know what you've spotted.

No comments:

Post a Comment