Book Review | Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

{NOTE: This post does not contain any spoilers, however, it will spoil the previous two novels. For those of you who have not read, and have obtained a Collectors First Edition copy, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, look at the beautiful geneology tree on the back of the book jacket. It however, IS a spoiler! }

 photo 40069b68.jpgTHE INFERNAL DEVICES WILL NEVER STOP COMING A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray. Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever. As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army? Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.
-Amazon

I'm reeling after only having finished the novel a half hour ago. I have no idea where to start, or what to harp on first, but the end result is the same: Pretty Darn Awesome!

First things first: It's wonderful to be back in the Iinstitute with a cast of characters that I've grown to love in such a short time. I wish it were to grand circumstances, however what kind of novel would it be if all were dandy? Clockwork Princess forces us all to come to terms with Jem's precarious illness, Tessa's origin,  her decision which could tear the the parabatai apart, and Mortmain's team of crazed automatons. Cassandra Clare has penned a fantastic conclusion to The Infernal Devices series.

In Clockwork Princess, Tessa matures, and stands as a true warrior. Seriously, by the end, you will be in awe of the risks Miss Gray is willing to take in order to keep her newfound Shadowhunter family safe. The most stunning portions of this novel, however, are those which showcase the unstoppable love that Jem and Will have for each other. Clare could have used this triangle as an opportunity to showcase yet another predictable, push-pull showing of testosterone. But in pure Clare fashion, she has made Tessa's decision layered and complicated, and thus obliterated the whole 'Team Will' / 'Team Jem' argument. I won't go any further, but, there will be tears, ladies and gentlemen.

Second, I loved getting to see Cecily in action! I thought that her inclusion is nothing short of genius, what with her brothers wit, her ability to ruffle Will's feather's a bit, and a certain other Shadowhunter. She is just as stubborn as her brother, and quickly comes into her own in a cast of well established characters. As far as other characters go, I certainly sympathized with Gabriel and Gideon's challenges, and I loved watching Gabriel, in particular, grow through them. Charlotte is her strong heroic self, and Henry continues to be bright and adorable. I believe this novel finally credits his genius! Sophie is just wonderful!

The conflicts within the novel are wonderfully executed, with the evil of Mortmain, as well as those within the Clave who consistently challenge Charlotte's position within it. I love that within this fantastical tale, Clare finds time to discuss the practical challenges that women had during this Era.

The challenge I have with this novel is the ending. It's truly hard to gage my own reaction to it, honestly. I both found it beautiful, yet I can see how others may wish to challenge it. I will say that Cassandra Clare executed it brilliantly, as it felt very organic, not at all contrived as other novels I've read.

Bare in mind: This novel discusses demons, the occult, and witchcraft. This novel also depicts violence, and sensuality.

I have had a thoroughly awesome experience reading The Infernal Devices series. As I've only come into the fandom last summer, I'm a bit sad to see it end so soon. But Cassandra Clare fashions a world that is intoxicating, she truly brings this fantastical Victorian Era to life. She's also given me an exemplary example of what it is to create characters who literally live and breathe as if on their own. I'm not sure I've experienced very many novels that can pull off character voice as she has.


 photo 21e09db426e46a2a4dc114ea13d61785.jpg
I give Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare 5 out of 5 cups of Gunpowder Tea!

P.S.- Has anyone of you ever tried Gunpowder Tea? If so, what's it like?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read these books yet. My mom loves them. Oh my goodness your blog is adorable, I just absolutely love the header. :) I found you on Book Blogs and I am now your newest follower! I hope you have a wonderful evening and that you'll stop by for a visit sometime when you get the chance. :)
    Leigh Ann
    MaMa's Book Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! So sorry for the late comment, I just saw it! Thanks so much! Popping over to your blog!

      Delete