The Spark of 'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Green

Photobucket

I've climbed onto the John Green bandwagon pretty late in the game. His latest novel, The Fault in Our Stars, is stirring up a load of excitement within the 'bibliophiliac' community! It jumped to number 1 on Barnes & Noble and Amazon bestseller lists shortly after Green's announcement of this forthcoming novel. I'm not sure I've ever experienced such anticipation for a novel that has little information about it.  The title, however, is enough to cause me to stop and ponder on it's meaning. Green did fill us in on it's partial inspiration which is a line from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar: "'The fault, dear Brutus is not in our stars, / But in ourselves, that we are underlings.'" After some scouring of the net (And I mean, purposeful searching), I found out that the novel will be about a young woman who's suffering from terminal cancer and is forced by her parents to attend a support group. The allure is made even more plausible with John Green's promise to autograph every copy of its first printing. It's a bit of an enigma, but I'll admit that even I would like my chance to purchase one of the autographed copies, just to say that I have a piece of John Green national treasure.

Although, I haven't finished Green's previous novel,  Looking For Alaska, I did get the feeling that it is easily a YA classic! It contains wonderful writing and musings about life, love, and harder challenges. One of my favorite quotes about life is: "...He was this poet. And his last words were 'I go to seek a Great Perhaps.' That's why I'm going. So I don't have to wait until I die to start seeking a Great Perhaps." It actually encouraged me to go on to Wales to take on Grad School! Alaska seems one of those profound characters that will stick with you! One classic quote that made me love her was: "Her library filled her bookshelves and then overflowed into waist-high stakes of books everywhere, piled haphazardly against walls. If just one of them moved, I thought, the domino effect could engulf the three of us in an asphyxiating mass of literature." I also purchased, An Abundance of Katherines, because it seems a quite clever and thoughtful read. I've heard that Green includes graphs and charts within it. What's more fun than a novel with little scavenger hunts? That's what I call boss-like ingenuity!

While fans wait patiently for their signed copies of The Fault in Our Stars, a few have decided to use their creativity to create novel covers! John Green proudly showcases these fan-made masterpieces on his Tumblr dedicated to them. Here are a few of my favorites:

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket Photobucket


Thanks to fan enthusiasm, I am now looking forward to The Fault in Our Stars! I'm still trying to figure out whether I should pick me up a one of a kind John Green treasure. His charisma, wit, and undeniable 'nerdigems' will keep drawing me!

Have you read John Green's work? What are your favorites, and are you looking forward to The Fault in Our Stars?

Source: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4