Spotted #2: Barnes & Noble Union Square


Spotted is a Feature on Novel Days where I spotlight books which I discover whilst about town.

 photo spotted.png Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The Time Travelling Fashionista at the Palace of Marie Antoinette by Bianca Turretsky: I saw this and immediately the little girl in me who loves to play dress up began to cheer. This novel surrounds a thirteen year old who wind's up in Marie Antoinette's court. Who wouldn't want to be in her court, if not just to experience it all by proxy! Macarons, pastels, bustling skirts...I think so. This might be a really light refresher to my list.

Zombies vs. Unicorns Edited by Holly Black: Every time I see this anthology I laugh inside, because it seems  such a crazed notion that someone would even pit a grotesque and slimy Zombie with a beautiful Unicorn. I guess from the last, you all know what side I'm on! Give 'em grief, Unicorns!

Mademoiselle De Maupin by Theophile Gautier:  I'm always on the lookout for really wonderful French Classics. Since falling in love with Guy De Maupassant, I wanted to explore more iconic pieces. Taking a stroll past the B&N Penguin Classic's section, the cover caught my eye straight away. It's illusory, intriguing, puzzling. I'm very curious. (Contain's Adult Themes)

Willful Impropriety-13 Tales of Society, Scandal and Romance Edited by Ekatarina Sedia: Totally excited about this anthology of no doubt beautifully engaging tales about the darker sides of society! Honestly, anything Victorian, or smack dab between the 20s and the 60s...I'm sold. There's something so much cooler and more drawing about the secrets lying in these eras than in present day.

Diva by Jillian Larkin: It's set in the 20s, and there are Flappers involved. This needs no explanation ;-). Anyone else love ths series?

Laura Lamont's Life In Pictures by Emma Straub: This novel makes me happy to see placed all around bookstores. It has such a beautiful cover, and a premise that the 20s lover in me is thrilled to dive into.

Battle Royale by Koshun Takami: This. Novel. Of course this is The Hunger Games before The Hunger Games came to be. Seems quite the work. Vicious, raw, and even in the midst of all this, I'm curious. I'm really hoping that it's not violence for violence sake. But, yeah...seems pretty frightening overall.  (Contains: Violence)

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace: Does anyone truly know what this novel is about? Have any of you read it? I know many have placed it on their challenging books list with hopes of conquering it as one would seek to defeat War and Peace or Anna Karenina. I always like a good challenge, that's why I'm hoping to finish Murakami's 1Q84 before year is over.

Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell: I watched the film starring Jennifer Lawrence surrounding a young girl who's in search of her father in the poverty stricken Ozarks. Something that I can't explain captured my attention. I didn't watch the film long enough to know every bit of the story, but when I discovered that there was a novel, I thought it would be interesting to read. I also have a fascination with Appalachia and areas surrounding this territory and culture. It seems a whole other world there. 

What novels have captured your eye lately?

4 comments:

  1. Wow all these books sound great! The one I have heard of that you listed was Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures. It sounds like a good book that I can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read Zombies vs Unicorns! Haha. That is a hilarious combination. I'm reading Rapture right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what Infinite Jest is about but I have a feeling that it doesn't really matter. I like some of David Foster Wallace's writing a lot but that book is huge and I eventually lose my patience with all the end notes.

    Let me know what you think of Battle Royale in case you read it. (I could barely watch the trailer). I'm also curious to know if there's anything more to it than violence. Have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete