Top Ten Tuesdays: My Top Ten Favorite Books Ever

Top Ten Tuesday's is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Echo by Francesca Lia Block: I remember the year I decided to get serious about my writing. It was my senior year in high school, and I had to take on night classes. This novel stuck out to me whilst perusing through Barnes & Noble, and I thought, why not. I sat in my night class sneaking peeks at Echo, blown away with her lyricism, beauty, and ability to turn this ordinary world into a land of angels and magic. I knew then, I wanted to write magical realism. Each story in this novel is beautiful and heartbreaking. 

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson: This novel! Another school house favorite of mine. When I was in 4th or 5th grade, my class read this novel, and I couldn't dislodge myself from its world. I remember going home, and trying to recreate Terabithia in my room, or in the bathroom with blankets, a flashlight, and glow crayons. This novel showed me the beauty and blessing of being able to imagine farther and wider than ones own environment.

The Collected Stories of Guy de Maupassant: I'll admit that I've never been a huge fan of short stories. I always felt as if they tried so hard to be profound, and they bored me a bit. That was until I found Maupassant. I purchased an early Penguin edition, which I highly recommend. His stories are sublime, disturbing, lovely...so many words for them. The Graveyard Sisterhood is one of my favorites of his. Maupassant showed me what a short story should be, and I look forward to giving others a chance, like Salinger's 9 Stories.

Krik, Krak by Edwidge Danticat: I discovered this collection of short stories during one of my Undergrad courses that I considered crucial to the development of my adult self. Krik, Krak is striking. One of the most well written collections I've ever read! Beautiful tales of Haitian life, dealing with trauma, love, and self discovery. It really caused me to understand the beauty of being a woman of color, and the beauty of talent in our communities.

Washington Square by Henry James: Here's another novel from my Undergrad years. I consider Henry James one of the most overwhelmingly intimidating writers that I've encountered. Nevertheless, this novel was such a wonderful read. I sympathized with the main character so much, as she is, in many ways, forced into silence by her father's disdain of her, and belittlement from around her. Great book!

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers: This novel is literally the only Christian Romance that ever need to be read. Why? Because it portrays a hard, complicated, and freeing love as the hero of the story loves a young woman that is so battered by her past experiences that she cannot open herself to love. It also portrays the love that God has for us, even as we spurn Him, and turn to other people, places, and things to fulfill us, He still pursues us with a passionate love. I HIGHLY recommend this novel to every single person out there seeking a deeper understanding, in novel form, of God's love.

On The Road by Jack Kerouac: Of course you guys saw this one coming. This novel is a bit different from the rest of the list. I've been reading this novel for the past three or four years now. While I still haven't finished the novel, it ranks up there with my top ten because I relate to Jack. I love his experience with humanity, his lyrically spontaneous prose, his musings on living life with passion and drive (though, I obviously don't condone most of the shenanigans he gets into with his friends). His writing will move me to read anything he's written, simply because of it's sincerity, risk, and love of the craft.

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli: All I can say about this novel is, Stargirl is my hero, and a role model for every one, ladies and gents.

Drown by Junot Diaz: Here's one more title I discovered whilst in school! Diaz is a PHENOMENAL writer and storyteller. Drown is a collection of hopeful and haunting short stories that are sure to draw you in. It tackles harsh topics such as drug use, neglect, cultural identity. I loved the color and rhythm of his prose as he spotlights his experience of what it is to be Dominican. Beautiful!

The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint Exupery: This is such a darling little tale, with little nuggets to imagine to. There are bits where I wanted to cry at its adorable profundity! There's nothing like a great children's tale to get a smile on your face.

What are your top ten favorite books?

No comments:

Post a Comment