Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver Book Review

Disclaimer: Although I don't believe I've included very many spoilers aside from those that are on the surface, I cannot be sure, so read at your discretion.


Photobucket I'm pushing aside the memory of my nightmare, pushing aside thoughts of Alex, pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school, push, push, push, like Raven taught me to do. The old life is dead. But the old Lena is dead too. I buried her. I left her beyond a fence, behind a wall of smoke and flame. Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.
-Goodreads

I must say that Pandemonium was exactly what I expected it would be, exciting and adventurous, with tension abounding around every corner. Oliver opens up her thrilling sequel with Lena discovering the pros and consequences of the choice she makes to leave the confines of her former life to venture into what is called 'the Wilds.' I loved how it all played out, each new character introduced, and each challenge that tests Lena to rise above her 'former' self. The greatest wild card character, in my opinion, is Julian Fineman, the symbol of what Lena and the rest of the 'Invalids' are against. I found myself hooked to this story from cover to cover, as uprisings beckoned, and new love burgeoned beneath the streets of a future NewYork City.

Lauren Oliver never fails to astound me with the beauty of her writing. As much as I wanted to race through the novel, I found myself slowing down to savor each word. A novel about 'diseased' love, if handled ineffectively, can become something contrived and quite cheesy, but Oliver weaves each and every moment in such a profound way. Lena and Julian's moments together are so organic to me that one cannot help but sympathize with their feelings, even as you miss Alex' presence. Julian is one of my favourite characters, because he is thoughtful, has a childlike innocence, and is battered from his own struggles with the resistance. He is a beautiful character to observe as he grows, and his eyes are opened to the realities of the world his father wishes to create.

There are only two things that made me arch my brow a bit. As Lena grows throughout this novel, we see her begin to use more and more profanity, which seemed a bit unnecessary. The other, is that the very thing that I expected to happen in the end actually does. Nevertheless, none of this took away from the story, but it does, especially the ending, make me want to take out a petition to rush release the third and last novel!

Bare In Mind: This novel contains slight nudity, violence, profanity, and certain passages from the Bible retold (The account of Abraham and Isaac).

Overall, Pandemonium was an entertaining, thrilling, and romantic novel that will draw you in until the very end.

I give Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver 4 1/2 out of 5 stars!


P.S. If you love Novel Days, please vote for it in the Independent Book Blogger Awards. The vote button is in the sidebar. I would very much appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment