Novel Days Celebrates The Hollow Series by Jessica Verday: A Review

Photobucket

The Hollow Trilogy is one of the most underrated YA Supernatural Romances released in the past three years. This series surprised, thrilled and intrigued me. Jessica Verday is an awesome writer with a penchant for creating enchanting characters, and painting a present day world of Sleepy Hollow that I wanted to fall into. I'm so excited to carry out this week-long celebration of The Hollow Trilogy by Jessica Verday with reviews, and posts dedicated to throwing a killer Hollow Book Club session! But first things first, a review of the entire series.

PhotobucketPhotobucket


When Abbey's best friend, Kristen, vanishes at the bridge near Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, everyone else is all too quick to accept that Kristen is dead?and rumors fly that her death was no accident. Abbey goes through the motions of mourning her best friend, but privately, she refuses to believe that Kristen is really gone. Then she meets Caspian, the gorgeous and mysterious boy who shows up out of nowhere at Kristen's funeral, and keeps reappearing in Abbey's life. Caspian clearly has secrets of his own, but he's the only person who makes Abbey feel normal again...but also special.

Just when Abbey starts to feel that she might survive all this, she learns a secret that makes her question everything she thought she knew about her best friend. How could Kristen have kept silent about so much? And could this secret have led to her death? As Abbey struggles to understand Kristen's betrayal, she uncovers a frightening truth that nearly unravels her one that will challenge her emerging love for Caspian, as well as her own sanity.
-Barnes & Noble

The Hollow definitely surprised me. There are some novels that strike you simply because of the cover art alone. My edition captured a beautiful young woman wearing a mysterious necklace, with a haunting look in her eyes. I loved the Gothic feel of it, and the story-line interested me enough to want to see what would happen. Abbey's character is conflicted and burdened because of the mysterious death of her bestfriend, Kristen. As the novel progressed, Abbey's grief seemed a bit dramatic at times, but it wasn't enough to deter me from reading further. I loved Abbey's many layers and thought that she could be an inspiring model for young women to look up to in some respects.  Abbey is an ambitious entreprenuer, who's passion is perfume, and desires to open up a perfume shop called: Abbey's Hollow.  I thought that this was so refreshing to read in YA literature. Verday's description of Abbey's perfuming process intrigued me so much, I wanted to try my hand at it.

I remember that during this time, vampires were in their highest height, and whenever I read of a handsome, mysterious guy I started to think...'Aww man, it's another Edward Cullen.' Nevertheless, I continued through, and I discovered that the concept of Caspian's situation is very fresh, and imaginative.  I adored Verday's ability to weave her own mythology of Sleepy Hollow with that of Washington Irving's authoritative legend. Verday's description of present day Sleepy Hollow and it's inhabitants, held  the same weathered, gothic intrigue that the original legend accomplished.  The aspect of the novel that I wasn't too fond of is its length. There were places in the novel where it seemed to slow up, rather than add to the narrative, passages that may have been unnecessary. I also wished that there was more information included about Caspian and his journey/place in Sleepy Hollow. I found myself most irritated by his responses or lack of response to Abbey's connection with him at first. Most complaints I see on this novel are on these slow moments, but I'll continue to encourage readers to continue reading, because the surprise ending, and the next two novels in the series are so worth it!

The Haunted is what really solidified my status as a dedicated fan of this series. It's one of the most enchanting romances I've ever read! This novel takes us further into the mystery that is Sleepy Hollow. I loved it's magical realism, in that on one end we've got the possibility for this ethereal romance, but on the other we've got the reality that Abbey questions her sanity and has returned from having endured psychiatric help. These aspects give the novel a raw quality.

The romance in this novel was otherworldly, and more than makes up for the awkward beginning that Abbey and Caspian have in The Hollow. There are soooo many moments that I wanted to wrap myself in like a comforting duvet! This novel is chock full of interesting descriptions, perfume facts, and more background on Caspian's connection to Sleepy Hollow. My favorite chapter is Crazy/Beautiful! This time, however, the warm and fuzzies is threatened by a villain who brings to light the risk that Abbey takes to be with Caspian. The villain is perfectly cast, and left me bristling by the end.


Photobucket
A love that knows no bounds
Abbey knows that Caspian is her destiny. Theirs is a bond that transcends even death. But as Abbey finally learns the full truth about the dark fate that links her to Caspian and ties them both to the town of Sleepy Hollow, she suddenly has some very hard choices to make. Caspian may be the love of her life, but is that love worth dying for?
Beautifully spun, emotionally gripping, and irresistibly romantic, The Hidden will leave you breathless.



The Hidden is such a bittersweet ending to this wonderful series. Of the novels, this one is more fast paced, which helped me to feel the tension that Abbey and Caspian feel as their time together grows shorter and shorter.  As usual, the romance was a key facet here, taking us even deeper than before. I still longed to read more of Caspian's feelings on what was happening, but that only confirms my love for him as a character! I adored all of Abbey and Caspian's scenes, especially those where they got to share their art with each other.  I found these moments to be very profound as it seemed their symbolic way of touching, when they couldn't physically touch. Another key element that crosses over into this final installment is Verday's talent for description and characterization.

At this point, I already feel as if I'm family with all of the major characters in this novel, including Kristen's memory. I loved that Verday went into further history of the Shades, ghosts, and their connections to Sleepy Hollow. The novel is steeped in Gothic intrigue that really helped to create such a mystical atmosphere that I couldn't help but sink right into it. Seriously, I wanted to find some abandoned shop of bygone years and discover what treasures lay left behind.

I wasn't too fond of the seance scene, nevertheless I understand how it is pretty much unavoidable, given the context of the story. I would not encourage anyone to try, or replicate this practice.

At first, I felt that the challenges were being resolved too easily, but as it progressed Verday introduced the complexity of Abbey's decision. The ending was truly stellar. It was one of those bittersweet endings that hurts a little bit, but is so right. Verday found a way to resolve everything in such a beautiful way! She showcased a celebration of love in various forms: The love of two soul-mates, the love of sisters (Abbey and Kristen's Friendship), and the love of family. I came away wanting to appreciate all of the people in my life. I wanted to cry!

I cannot recommend this series enough! Wonderful romance and raw mystery, with an intriguing mix of historical beauty and Gothic essence of the original Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving.

I give The Hollow four out of five cups of Earl Grey.

I give The Haunted and The Hidden five out of five cups of Earl Grey, with Laduree Macarons and a night on the town!