Book Review: Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick

Photobucket
The noise between Patch and Nora is gone. They’ve overcome the secrets riddled in Patch’s dark past...bridged two irreconcilable worlds...faced heart-wrenching tests of betrayal, loyalty, and trust...and all for a love that will transcend the boundary between heaven and earth. Armed with nothing but their absolute faith in each other, Patch and Nora enter a desperate fight to stop a villain who holds the power to shatter everything they’ve worked for—and their love—forever.- Barnes & Noble


I'll admit that I picked up Silence without even knowing the premise for the latest installment in the Hush Hush Saga. The first two novels certainly jazzed my world, and I had every hope that this would be no different. I wanted to like this novel, but I think I've come away loving the first two better. I was a bit disappointed that in this novel, Nora has amnesia and has to retrace her steps to figure everything that she spent the last two novels trying to figure out. She has to discover the wonder that is Patch all over again, and I felt that to be a little redundant.

I felt that the characterizations of Vee, Scott, Hank, and Patch were still very believable, and genuine! Fitzpatrick has a gift with creating awesome characters and relationships! Hank's relationship with Nora's mother infuriated me! I wanted to shake her mother, and yell 'Can't you see he's lying, and trying to kill you?' I wasn't sure what to think of Scott, although his last appearance in Crescendo painted him a good guy.  In Silence, he seemed a bit overconfident or nonchalant about Hank's contempt for him, and I wished that he seemed as concerned as Nora was for his life. Vee was a breath of fresh air, and the touch of normalcy to a story steeped in amnesia.  I did think that she was a bit overprotective, but how else would a caring friend be after the trauma Nora's experienced?

There are wonderful moments between Patch and Nora, once all of the clouds dissipate! I loved every one of Patch's moments of stark vulnerability. No matter how much he tries to push Nora away, the reader can see how much he's worn down, and will eventually abandon his methods of protection. The novel is worth reading, if only for these beautiful moments that solidify their relationship!

I forged through, and I will say that as it goes on, after Nora rediscovers what's happened between her, Patch, and Hank Millar, the story zips through like a roller coaster! The mid to last halves of the book are simply awesome, and what I've come to love about the Hush Hush Saga.  Fitzpatrick creates tension like a champion, and drives you even through the beginning to mid halves of the novel which tend to be a bit drawn out. The awesome part is that Fitzpatrick has decided to write a new installment which will absolutely be in my hands as soon as it releases next Fall!

Fitzpatrick has created a compelling enough story-line here to capture and keep the attentions of readers!

I give Silence by Becca Fitzpatrick three out of five cups of Earl Grey.