Kippa Picks: My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking Book Review

Kippa Picks is a feature on Novel Days where I highlight Kindle novels that have been Self Published.


Photobucket
Teenager Alice Bonham's life feels crazy after she meets Jack. With his fondness for pink Chuck Taylors and New Wave, he's unlike anyone she knows. Then she meets his brother, Peter. Even though he can't stand the sight of her, she's drawn to him. Falling for two guys isn't even the worst of her problems. Jack and Peter are vampires, and Alice finds herself caught between love and her own blood.
-Barnes & Noble

One of my great writer friends, Venita Johnson, recommended that I look up Amanda Hocking, as she is known for the phenomenal success of her e-books. After looking her up, I thought, I can't pass up the opportunity to see what all the raving is about.

My Blood Approves  by Amanda Hocking, is pretty much your usual supernatural romance about vampires. Hocking weaves her story in a way where you definitely want to continue on and see where the character's will end up. I found that I liked Alice's personality, and her journey to discovering that her newfound friend, Jack, and his family, are vampires. I detested Peter, a bit. I had no sympathy for this brooding vampire, contradicting himself with every chapter...he hates her, but no not really...he likes her right now...but no not really. Jack is the more reliable character; He's charming, fun, and refreshing.  Ezra and Mae were really wonderful characters, and though some facets of their background is shown, I wanted to learn more about their lives.

This novel, however, did share a lot of similarities to other vampire series' that we know and love, and so it kept me from fully engrossing myself as much as I would have liked. There would be moments where was fully tuned into the story, and then something would pop out at me that I felt sure I've seen in other stories.

This being said, I have purchased the second novel in this series, Fate, and I'm interested to see how this story will further play out. I would like to explore more of her work. Overall, I did find My Blood Approves to be an entertaining read. I simply wished there were more moments of originality, but in a genre of over-vamp saturation, that would be the challenge.

I give My Blood Approves by Amanda Hocking 3 out of 5 cups of Earl Grey.